Saturday, July 18, 2009

Adding A Google Search Bar to a Website

I forgot to mention in my first post that in order to create an Adsense account, you must have some sort of web content already in place. It can be a website, or a blog, but it must have some sort of content that is more than one post or webpage which is a requirement to be approved for an account. One website I researched said it needs to be at least 20 pages long. My website http://www.wahvi.com is not that long but I was still approved.


I gave a lot of thought in to what I want to display on my website, and I decided for now to only post the Google search bar. I am still building my content, and I want my visitors to focus on the website content of what I am providing informationally, to get to know the feel of the website, before posting up more advertisements. I think putting up the search bar on my website strikes up a happy medium between giving me a very small chance at revenue and giving my readers a way to search the net.


This will give my website visitors a Google search box from which they can make Google queries and see their results all on my home page. The AdSense account holder only receives a revenue share if someone clicks on one of the AdSense ads, not for conducting searches or visiting search results.


I logged in to my google AdSense account, and chose the AdSense Setup link. Then, I selected the second option link AdSense for Search. A get started button loads the wizzard that walked me through the steps to customize my search box. I had no problems using my screen reader for the first set up section. It has nice options to track the success of the ads, key words you think are relevant to your site can be added in to help your visitors get better search results, and you can implement a family safety feature called search safe.


I got stuck on the Select a branding style for your search box. It doesn't have descriptions that say how each radio button choices will look, so I took my best guess knowing that I can come back and edit it later. I also guessed at the pallates and borders and if I didn't understand a choice, I kept the defaults.


At one point it asked me for two websites, one for which page to have the search bar and which page to display the results. I put in my home page address for both, so someone can do a search off my website home page and there search results will also appear on that same home page when they are finished. I believe if I want to put a search bar on other pages of my site I can add them in as well at a later time. Google then showed me the html code, and I pasted it in to my html text for my home page and saved and uploaded it on to my websites home page.


I don't know if I can copy the code to other pages on my site, or if I need to make new codes for each page, and I need to find someone to ask to determine if the search feature melds well with my page content. But the search bar does display.

No comments:

Post a Comment