Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Adding Google ads to a Blog

As you can now tell, I figured out how to add the AdSense program to this blog. I am amazed at how simple it was. All I did was to log in to the BlogSpot account and choose the monetize link, select the appropriate radio buttons to choose which types of ads to display, link my AdSense account to this blog, and republish. They appeared pretty much instantly. This is a hopeful sign as I now know how to create a blog and put up ads all for free. At least, here on BlogSpot. If I now want to create other niche blogs now I know how to do it!

If you want to do this, the one thing I recommend is you link your Google accounts together to create less confusion for yourself. I already had a Gmail account for Google mail, and when I signed up for both this blog and the AdSense account, I was prompted to link them all to one of my email addresses on file which I did. This way when I want to access any of these items, there is only one user name and password I need to remember. With three different accounts, and all the myriad user names and passwords I already had in my brain, this makes it easier to keep track of my information.

Also, because I used one of the BlogSpot already-formatted templates to create the colors and the appearance of this page, Google AdSense automatically formats the ad to look streamlined. A sure frustration saver for someone with a visual impairment.

Just as a side to those using screen readers, it is easier to write out my blog post in Word, so I can edit or spell check before posting it live. I have so far found it difficult to edit my posts once published. I'm not sure if its the Jaws version I have, or if it is my computer skills, but its hard to get the cursor in the right spots for edits on the BlogSpot page.

Also, for those that read braille, there is a blogging book available from the National Braille Press called Blog On! Reading and Writing Blogs with a Screen Reader. I forgot it existed and I should probably buy it myself and save myself some learning curve. But my goal was to do this without spending a dime. The link if you want to check out the book is at:
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/BLOG.html

I really will blog on the types of Adsense products that can go up on a website next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment